Thursday, April 10, 2008

Cartoonist Wanted

My daughter has been explaining musical composition, which she knows much more about than I do, to me. At one point in the conversation, trying to make sense of the idea of a line of music, I suggested that her harp could only play one; she pointed out that it could manage two. Which put into my mind a cartoon—something I am entirely incapable of producing, given a complete lack of artistic talent.

The caption is "What do you mean you can't play eight lines on a harp?" The picture shows a harp--being played by an octopus.

7 comments:

Glen said...

Admittedly I don't play harp, but I had the impression harpists can play chords using different fingers on different strings. If so, wouldn't our maximum number be more than two? We've certainly got more digits than octopi have limbs...

David Friedman said...

Glen raises a point I was hoping nobody would think of--that it's possible for a human to play more than two lines. But it's complicated by the fact that, due to the small size of the human hand, each hand can only play multiple lines if they are close together.

An octopus does not have that constraint.

Anonymous said...

A skilled harpist can play more than that; I've heard Andrew Lawrence-King play three- and four-part polyphony on the harp.

An octopus does, however, have the constraint of fingerlessness. So, an octopus playing with all eight arms (assuming it isn't having to use any to hold the instrument) still would be comparable to a human playhing two-handed--IMO, in any case....

RC/DP

Anonymous said...

Hi my names Martin, and im a Cartoonist, im looking for drawing work here and there, thats when i came across your comment, are you serious or just playing if you need this job done Im your man.
email me at no1mcb@hotmail.com
Head the email with the caption you thought of.

Anonymous said...

i am jooi, a cartoonist, email me at ooibengsoon@yahoo.com

in a cartoon...he he he...we can play any number of harp....

Anonymous said...

Man, that's funny! Can I use that?
(It could be published)

David Friedman said...

Anonymous asks if he can use the idea. Of course.

Just credit me if anyone asks.